Cannington Manor photo album.
Courtesy of the University of Saskatchewan. (Morton Manuscripts Collection, University of Saskatchewan Library Special Collections MSS_C555_2_14_20)
Francis Page, daughter of Captain Pierce, recounted the building of the church for her children in memoirs entitled "A few reminiscences of our early life in the North-West"."We soon felt we must have a Church, the settlement was growing, so logs must be got out, everyone helping. To Ted belongs the honour of bringing home the first load, which was on December 22, 1883, then the logs being hauled, the "raising" was the next proceeding, as soon as the snow should be quite gone; this was arranged for June 16, 1884." More
A page from the 1896 cash book of the
Ladies' Anglican Guild lists names of the leading churchwomen of the day.
Spring in Cannington Manor in the 1890s. Photo (probably taken by Ernest Humphrys), courtesy of descendants of the Humphrys family.
"This church in the form of a cross presented difficulties not found in the plain log shack of the period; the walls, for instance, included twelve corners, and to bring the slanting levels of the complicated roof to one peak in the centre was a work of exceptional skill. The beam work throughout is superb and can be well seen because of two very large gothic windows originally with ribbed glass which light up the central portion of the church (crossing) where these beams, so skilfully patterned by adze, were brought to a peak from which hangs a chandelier of pierced brass with three lamps, originally with decorative frosted globes. This is apt to hit the head of tall clergy who, there being no pulpit, preach from this spot."- from an article by A E M Hewlett
During renovations of 2011.